Thursday, April 18, 2013

Laptop Issue Reminder


This "babysitting" request has occurred once again this week. The Laptop Agreement holds customers responsible for that item while it is checked out to them. If you are asked to watch a laptop while the customer runs out to their car, goes for a smoke, visits the restroom, etc. please explain that the laptop must be checked in. Please see below for the responses of Fred Schumacher and Mike VanCampen.

Pat


I don’t think there is anything in our policy or elsewhere that obliges us to look after the item while the customer is in the restroom.  As I recall, when I did the initial training for circing laptops, I specifically advised against offering this courtesy to anyone in order to avoid this type of thing coming up.  I think that whoever started doing this for the customer has created a problem for themselves and others now, since he seems to feel it is a part of our normal service.  Our (Circ Admin’s) position with customers who have had similar complaints has been that the Library places the item in their care during the time that it is checked out to them, and that they are responsible for it until its return. Library staff can relieve them of that responsibility only when it is returned.  We have told a couple of other customers who have called with similar complaints that if a particular branch/staff member is offering to look after an item while they go to the bathroom or step out for a smoke, that it is a courtesy offered be that individual/individual location, not by the HPL system.

F. Schumacher
1/19/2012


I agree with Fred.  My take on it is that we ask staff not to offer this to customers.  Ultimately, the customer needs to be responsible for the laptop from the moment they check it out until they return it.  Offering this to one customer will lead to a situation where everyone expects it, which appears to be happening.   I too remember that this was what was intended when we discussed policies for laptop checkout.  

Mike VanCampen
1/19/2012

No comments:

Blog Archive