Friday, September 23, 2011

NL Chief to visit locations

Greetings NL Managers and Staff,

As we continue to move through significant changes throughout the organization, I and NL Administration want to make sure we have methods for ensuring that staff at all levels have avenues for providing input and feedback. As part of that, the NL Administration team would like to carve out dedicated time each week to make themselves available to come out to locations and meet with staff. These meetings would be discussions with staff: an opportunity for staff to raise questions, issues, and concerns with members of Neighborhood Library Administration. The starting point of these meetings would be to explore what we in NL Administration can do to support frontline staff as we move through these transitions and beyond. Ultimately, we want to hear how we can make your jobs less stressful and as enjoyable as possible.

I do not want to make these meetings a requirement at all locations or groupings. We really want this to be driven by what is most beneficial to staff. Instead, I would like to leave it up to managers and their staffs to let us know if they want a Team Leader or Coordinator to come out and meet with staff. I am hoping that I can carve out some time for this purpose as well. We will be dedicating every Friday morning for this purpose and will try to avoid other meeting conflicts. This will allow some time to talk with staff without the demands of public service. My hope is that we can continue to do these kind of meetings to create an ongoing conversation with as many staff members as possible. Please feel free to contact your Team Leader or Coordinator if you would like to have them come out and meet with staff in this manner.

In addition, we will soon be launching a new feature on the Neighborhood Libraries blog (http://hplnl.blogspot.com/) that provides another avenue for staff to provide ideas and input and interact with colleagues, which includes NL Administration as well as peers throughout Neighborhood Libraries.

Also, I would like to get direct input from anyone who wishes to share ideas or simply discuss how our office and staff can help you and the staff at our locations. Please feel free to call or e-mail me at any time. If I am not available, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Mike Van Campen
Chief of Neighborhood Libraries
Houston Public Library
Phone: 832.393.1371
Mobile: 713.303.1974
NEW! michael.vancampen@houstontx.gov

No comments:

Blog Archive